Friday 1 July 2011

The day has come ....... the container has arrived!

So Saturday was the big day we've been waiting for (1 month late).. the arrival of the container and naturally it didn't go to plan!

The previous Thursday I had a phone call to say that our stuff had cleared customs and I had to pay an additional 400euros for the pleasure of it being stuck in Athens for a week (storage) even though it wasn't my fault and I didn't want it stuck in Athens. I reluctantly paid it and it would be with us the next day Friday.

Friday came and went.

Saturday I had a call and they said they were coming and would be leaving Rhodes at 10am and arrive with us at 11am. At 10am I had a phone call telling me there was a problem and they would leave at 12am. At 12 I phoned them and they said there was a problem and would phone me back, at 2pm I phoned them and there was still a problem but they hadn't forgotten about me! At 3pm I phoned them and shouted a lot. At 4pm a bloke phoned me to say he was in Pilona where were we, I rushed off in excitement to meet them and guide them in. I parked behind them to make sure that they couldn't go anywhere.
Half an hour later they were still trying to open the container! I kid you not, 3 grown men were hanging off the back of it trying to get the bolt out! They had hammers and saws and whatever else I had begged and borrowed from the neighbours, eventually with a final blow of an axe it opened and the first thing I saw was one of our plants which amazingly was still alive after the 2 months it has been in the dark. There was then a heated debate about something and they started taking out the boxes and putting them on the drive, I think not so after a heated debate by myself they started taking boxes into the house. I was on my own as Paul was at work so they started using 3 doors at the same time and dumping stuff where ever they liked, I started chasing them round getting them to move things, some they did, some they didn't. I tried taking big things out of boxes like the chairs as they were meant to take the debris away with them but it wasn't quite working like that.
A couple of hours later we were surrounded by boxes, Paul was home and had got them to sign something saying they hadn't unpacked so anything broken we didn't know about. We have managed to unpack quite a lot but there is still plenty to do, due to lack of storage so it is all on the roof terrace!

You may have heard of Greek time, but until you experience it you will never understand it!

No comments:

Post a Comment